Unic Press UK: The Pentagon said Friday that thirty-four American service members have been diagnosed with concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBI) following the Iranian missile attack at a U.S. military airbase in western Iraq at approximately 5:30 p.m. (EST) on 7 January 2020.
In a press briefing Friday, the Assistant to the Secretary of Defense, Jonathan Rath Hoffman, gave an update on the U.S. service members in Iraq. He said:
“Thirty-four total members have been diagnosed with concussions and TBI. Eight service members who were previously transported to Germany have been transported to the United States. They will continue to receive treatment in the United States, either at Walter Reed or at their home bases. Nine service members transported to Germany are still undergoing evaluation and treatment there. One service member transported to Kuwait received treatment and has returned to duty in Iraq. Sixteen service members who were diagnosed with concussion and TBI while in Iraq, and remained in Iraq, have already returned to duty.”
Hoffman added that the Department of Defense implemented new measures to safeguard America’s military installations, and protect the country‘s service members, their families and civilian employees.
It was on 7 January that the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) of Iran attacked two Iraqi military bases hosting American military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil, in retaliation over the U.S. killing of a top Iranian military commander, Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani, who, until his death, led an IRGC’s elite force known as the Quds Force.