Unic Press UK: The presidential ticket of the All Progressives Congress (APC) is open to all its members, particularly those who meet the stipulated constitutional requirements, said the party’s National Publicity Secretary.
The APC’s National Publicity Secretary, Malam Bolaji Abdullahi, speaking in Ilorin, Kwara State on Wednesday, encouraged all party members interested in the race to enter the contest. He said: “It is normal for other people to want to contest for the position of president… the party’s constitution allowed other members to also express a similar interest while the party would finally take a decision,” the Daily Post, Nigeria, wrote.
Nigeria President, Muhammadu Buhari, who is currently on an official visit to the United Kingdom, had earlier expressed his interest in a second term of office during a meeting with the APC National Executive Committee at Aso Rock, Abuja, on Monday. Buhari was sworn in on 29 May 2015; and his tenure ends on 29 May 2019.
Nigeria – Economic Indicators & Other Information
- Consumer Price Index (CPI): The Consumer Price Index (CPI) which measures inflation increased by 13.34 percent (year-on-year) in March 2018. This fourteenth consecutive disinflation since January 2017 is 0.99 percent points less than the rate recorded in February 2018 (14.33) percent. [National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria: April 2018]
- Gross Domestic Product (GDP): $404.65 billion as of 2016. [World Bank].
- GDP per capita: $2,175.67 as of 2016. [World Bank].
- Total National Debt: ₦21.725 trillion [$70.99 billion] at the end of December 2017.
- Unemployment: “The unemployment rate increased from 14.2% in Q4 2016 to 16.2% in Q2 2017 and 18.8% in Q3 2017”, the country’s Bureau of Statistics said in its report ‘Labor Force Statistics Vol. 1: Unemployment and Underemployment Report (Q1-Q3 2017)’ of December 2017.
- Population: 185.98 million as of 2016. [World Bank].
- Life expectancy at birth : 52.9 years as of 2015. [World Bank].
- Central Bank of Nigeria official exchange rate $1= ₦305.75