Unic Press UK: Two institutions of the Nigerian Armed Forces, the Nigerian Army and the Nigeria Police are at loggerheads, with the latter Police accusing the Army of shooting/killing on purpose three Police operatives, who were on legitimate duty in Taraba State on August 6, 2019.
In a press release Wednesday, the Police named Sgt. Usman Danzumi, Ins. Mark Ediale, and Sgt. Dahiru Musa, as members of its Intelligence Response Team (IRT), who were murdered on purpose by the Army along Ibi–Jalingo Road, Taraba State.
The Police accused the Army of deliberately killing the three Police operatives, and releasing a high-profile kidnap suspect one Alhaji Hamisu who had been handcuffed by Police operatives.
In its response, the Army issued a statement signed by the Acting Director Army Public Relations, Col Sagir Musa: “On the 6th of August 2019, the said Nigerian Army troops, while responding to a distressed call to rescue a kidnapped victim exchanged fire with the suspected kidnappers along Ibi-Wukari Road in Taraba State. In the resultant fire fight, four (4) suspects were shot and died on the spot while four (4) others sustained various degrees of gunshot wounds and 2 others reportedly missing. It was only after this avoidable outcome that one of the wounded suspects disclosed the fact that they were indeed Policemen dispatched from Nigerian Police, Force Headquarters, Abuja for a covert assignment.”
However, the Police has denounced the Army statement as “insensitive, disrespectful and unpatriotic.”
The Force also considers it insensitive, disrespectful and unpatriotic for the Press Release by the Army to continue to describe Policemen on lawful National Assignment as ‘suspected kidnappers’ long after it had become crystal clear to the Army
— Nigeria Police Force (@PoliceNG) August 8, 2019
The Police has asked the Nigerian Army authorities to provide answers to the following questions:
- Where is the notorious kidnapper, Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume ‘rescued’ by the soldiers?
- How and why was Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume released by the soldiers?
- How could a kidnap suspect properly restrained with handcuffs by the Police escape from the hands of his military rescuers?
- If Alhaji Hamisu Bala Wadume is a ‘‘victim of kidnap’’ as claimed, and properly rescued by soldiers, why was he not taken to the Army Base for documentation purposes and debriefing in line with the Standard Operating Procedure in the Nigerian Army?
- Why were the Police Operatives shot at close range even after they had identified themselves as Police Officers on legitimate duty as evident in the video now in circulation?