Unic Press UK: The United States President, Donald Trump said Friday morning on Twitter that he cancelled a planned military attack on Iran ten minutes before fire because one-hundred-and-fifty people would have died in an inferno.
….On Monday they shot down an unmanned drone flying in International Waters. We were cocked & loaded to retaliate last night on 3 different sights when I asked, how many will die. 150 people, sir, was the answer from a General. 10 minutes before the strike I stopped it, not….
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 21, 2019
In a series of tweets, Trump added: “I am in no hurry, our Military is rebuilt, new, and ready to go, by far the best in the world. Sanctions are biting & more added last night. Iran can NEVER have Nuclear Weapons, not against the USA, and not against the WORLD!”
The decision to unleash a military strike on Iran, which was later cancelled as confirmed by President Trump, would have been a direct fire-for-fire response to Iran military shooting down a U.S. RQ-4 Global Hawk surveillance drone near the Kouh-e Mobarak region in the central district of the Jask County of Iran’s Hormozgan province.
Thursday’s shooting of a U.S. RQ-4 Global Hawk surveillance drone worth over $120 million (£94.5 million) almost triggered a war in the Middle East. And, the Iranian military has a history of taking down U.S. reconnaissance drones as shown below in the descriptive/representative images published by the Press TV.
There’s been intense tensions between the U.S. and Iran over the years, escalating last year, May 8, 2018, when the U.S. government withdrew from the Iran nuclear deal – also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, (JCPOA) – and imposed another round of U.S. sanctions against Iran.
U.S. President Donald Trump had claimed that the JCPOA – Iran nuclear deal – remains a bad deal for the world and the United States, insisting that a new agreement is long overdue.
Washington says it’s open to a negotiation on a fresh deal, but Iran’s Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif said in May 2019 that there won’t be talks, labeling the U.S. a “bully.”