Unic Press UK: Deeply worried by the humanitarian crisis and the escalation of hostilities in the Republic of Yemen, the United Nations has urged the warring parties and the state actors swaying the conflict to implement steps to end the suffering of people.
“The Saudi-led coalition and pro-Hadi forces, the Houthi forces – and those who supply arms or other support to the parties to the conflict – all have the power or the influence to stop the starvation and killing of civilians, to give some reprieve to the people of Yemen. Violations by one party to the conflict do not give carte blanche to the others to fight back at all costs,” UN human rights Commissioner Bachelet said.
#Yemen: Escalation of hostilities in Al Hodeidah is taking an “unconscionable toll" on the population. @mbachelet urges the Saudi-led Coalition, the Houthi forces and all those supplying arms to take immediate steps to end the suffering of civilians.
— UN Human Rights (@UNHumanRights) November 10, 2018
Last month, the UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, Mark Lowcock said that an estimated 14 million people in Yemen, or a half the country’s population are facing “pre-famine conditions. “Only half of health facilities are functioning, and many Yemenis are too poor to access the ones that are open. Unable to reach care, people often die at home. Very few families report these deaths; their stories go unrecorded,” said Lowcock, who is also the Emergency Relief Coordinator.
The ongoing conflict in Yemen could be traced to the events of 2011, escalating in 2015 when a Saudi-led coalition stepped into the fray.