Unic Press UK: The Sokoto state Governor, Aminu Tambuwal, yesterday, the 30th August, collected the Nomination Form to contest the presidential primary election of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), hoping to emerge as the party’s flag-bearer.
Other presidential aspirants of the PDP are: Bukola Saraki, the Senate President. Atiku Abubakar, a former Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Atiku is one of the hitherto chieftains of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who decamped. Ahmed Makarfi, a former governor of Kaduna state and the former Caretaker Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). Rabiu Kwankwaso, the former governor of Kano state. Kwankwaso is one of the Senators, who recently decamped from the APC. Aminu Tambuwal, the Sokoto state governor. A former governor of Jigawa state Sule Lamido. Others are a former Sokoto state governor Attahiru Bafarawa and the Gombe state governor Ibrahim Dankwambo.
There are 91 political parties in Nigeria. Apart from the presidential aspirants under the PDP, there are several notable presidential aspirants in other parties, including:
- Muhammadu Buhari, a former military Head of State and the current President of Nigeria.
- Martin Onovo, a consulting engineer, who studied in the United States and Nigeria. He has been endorsed by the Conference of Nigeria Political Parties (CNPP), who also named him the “Face of the New Nigeria”. The Movement For Fundamental Change [MFC] and Secure our Votes Nigeria [SOV Nigeria] also endorsed Onovo.
- Sule Lamido, a former governor of Jigawa state and a former Minister of Foreign Affairs.
- Kingsley Moghalu, a political economist and a former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria.
- Donald Duke, a former governor of Cross River state.
- Omoyele Sowore, a popular online publisher and the founder of Sahara Reporters.